Call for Entries
2014 20"x20"x20": A National Compact Competition and Exhibit
This is a competitive juried exhibition in the LSU Student Union Art Gallery. It is sponsored by the LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT CD ENTRIES
Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 6 p.m.
The LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee, composed of volunteer LSU students, faculty, staff and community members, is responsible for the selection of art exhibits and programs in the LSU Student Union Art Gallery. We are pleased to sponsor this national multi-media compact art competition and exhibit for the 18th year.
This juried exhibition is open to any artist residing in the United States. Submissions need to be less than 20”x20”x20” excluding matting and framing. Works need to be completed within the last two years. Works previously exhibited in the LSU Student Union Art Gallery are ineligible. Artists compete for $6,000 in cash awards.
Entry fee is $35 (non-refundable), which entitles each artist to submit up to 3 entries. Check or money order should be made payable to the LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee. Entry fees may also be paid by credit card. Please enter your credit card information on your entry form.
Shana Barefoot: Collections and Exhibitions Manager at the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia in Atlanta, GA
First Place (1) $1,800, Second Place (1) $1,300, Third Place (1) $900, Merit Awards (5) $400 each
RULES OF ENTRY
1. FEES: There is a $35 non-refundable entry fee to enter the 2014 20”x20”x20”: A National Compact Competition and Exhibit. Please provide an e-mail address or mailing address to obtain results. Online registration and payment is encouraged.
2. SUBMISSION OPTIONS: There is a limit of 3 entries in any art medium that may be submitted by each artist. Artists may submit up to 3 entries online by sending jpegs or they may mail a CD. Additional images can may be provided for three-dimensional entries to represent different angles of 3-D sculpture. All entries must be clearly labeled. Label should include 1) name of artist, 2) title of work, 3) year produced, 4) image size, and 5) number of entry if there is more than one entry. Indicate with which program the CD is compatible (PC/MAC). Entries need to be received no later than 6 p.m. on Thursday, January 23, 2014. Jurying is scheduled for the week of February 4-9, 2014. Works accepted for the exhibit may be subject to a second review at the request of the juror. The gallery reserves the right to decline a piece if it does not closely resemble the original CD or jpeg submitted to the juror for the competition. CDs will not be returned and will be destroyed at the conclusion of the exhibit.
3. SIZE/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS: Two-dimensional works on paper, excluding the mat and frame, cannot exceed 20 inches for any one dimension. Sculpture may have one side exceeding 20 inches in length but overall weight cannot exceed 70 pounds.
4. NO CHANGES in the title, insurance value, or selling price will be accepted after the selection process. Accurate information should be provided with CDs or jpegs by the artist on the Entry and Notification forms. Artist agrees that CDs or jpegs of the accepted works may be used in conjunction with promotion of the selected exhibit. 5. EXHIBIT DURATION: All accepted works need to be available for the duration of the exhibition. No works may be withdrawn, returned, or substituted during the exhibition. Any works sold during the exhibition will be available to the purchaser at the completion of the exhibit.
6. NOTIFICATION of the juror’s selection will be sent by e-mail or by U.S. mail no later than Friday, February 21, 2014.
7. RETURNED ENTRIES: CDs or jpegs will not be returned and will be destroyed or deleted at the end of the exhibit.
8. SELLING PRICE: All selected entries will be labeled with either a selling price or NFS (not for sale). We do not offer a POR (price on request) option.
9. PREPARATION FOR THE WORK: All art mediums will be accepted in this competition. All entries must be ready for gallery installation.
10. TWO-DIMENSIONAL WORKS ON PAPER need to be framed and matted in white or off-white mat board. No color mats are acceptable as the primary mat. The 20”x20” image size requirement does not include presentation mats and frames. All works must be framed with simple, neutral-colored frames. All frames must have screw eyes and installation wire attached securely to the back of frame for installation purposes. Framed entries need to be covered with acrylic glass. Please do not use glass for any work.
11. THREE-DIMENSIONAL WORKS need to be ready for gallery installation. Multiple unit pieces which require assemblage will be accepted only if the artist assumes the responsibility for assembling the pieces personally or if the artist hires a qualified individual to assemble the piece. Sculptures may have one side exceeding 20 inches in length or width, but overall weight cannot exceed 70 pounds.
12. SALES: The LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee receives 40% commission on all works sold. The artist should include this commission when determining the market (selling) price of the work. The selling price, market value, and insurance value need to be the same amount. Federal tax ID number is required for all sales transactions. We will request this information only if a work has been sold.
13. LIABILITY: Those entries selected for the exhibit will be insured while “on the premises only” in the LSU Student Union Art Gallery. The artist is responsible for insuring the work(s) for round trip transit. No “in house” insurance coverage can be provided when artist does not provide monetary value on the entry and notification forms, loan agreement form, and insurance request form.
14. AGREEMENT: Sending an entry or entries to this competition shall constitute an agreement with all the conditions in this prospectus. Both the Entry and Notification form, need to be completed by the artist. Failure to complete these forms may make artist ineligible for the competition.
15. DELIVERY OF SELECTED WORKS: Accepted works may be hand-delivered or shipped prepaid by UPS Insured or Fed-Ex at the artist’s expense. Shipped works must be securely packaged in legibly addressed reusable crate or box arriving no later than Friday, March 21, 2014. Hand-delivered works will be received on Sunday, March 23, 2014 from 1-5 p.m. in the LSU Student Union Gallery, Room 216.
16. RETURN OF WORK: Shipped works will be returned via UPS Insured no later than Friday, May 23, 2014. Hand delivered works need to be picked up on Sunday, May 18, 2014 between the hours of 1 p.m.–5 p.m. A gallery assistant will be available to assist you.
17. STORAGE FEES: An $8.00/day storage fee will be charged for each hand delivered work remaining in the gallery beginning Monday, May 19, 2014. When a shipped entry is delivered in a damaged crate or box and requires new packaging for return shipment, the artist is assessed a freight packaging charge for the construction of a new box and labor expenses associated with purchasing the crate or box. This fee is to be paid to the LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee by the artist prior to the gallery returning the work to the artist.
The entry fee payment can be made online by using a credit card. Money orders are also accepted for $35 made payable to the LSU Student Union Art Advisory Committee.
For submissions: Include 1) completed entry and notification forms 2) clearly labeled CD or jpeg, and 3) your entry fee payment. All CDs will be shredded at the end of the exhibit. Online submission can be completed on as.lsu.edu/competition.
Hugh O’Connor, Gallery Registrar
2014 20”x20”x20”: A National Compact Competition
LSU Box 25123
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Hugh O’Connor, Gallery Registrar
2014 20”x20”x20”: A National Compact Competition and Exhibit
202A LSU Student Union Room
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Click here to download the prospectus to compete in the 2014 20"x20"x20": A National Compact Competition and Exhibit. Please print out, complete the application, and bring completed Entry and Notification forms, correctly labeled CDs with color print outs and check, money order, or credit card information for the $35 entry fee to the LSU Student Union Art Gallery Administration Office, Room 210 by 6 p.m. on January 23, 2014. Good luck!